Garam Masala, or hot spice/heat spice, as it’s literal translation implies is a diverse and flavor packed spice used in many (okay-most) Indian or Pakistani dishes. It is also much used in certain Thai foods. This spice is great for adding flavor to any dish, but is used commonly as meat rubs, in gravy’s, and for curry’s. (in sauce/rice etc) Not only does it taste great, Garam Masala has many health benefits due to the wide array of spices used in it.
Some benefits of garam masala is that it slows down the aging process and helps promote weight loss. Yes, eating foods with garam masala can actually help shed some pounds.
The spice traditionally is a mixture of cinnamon, cardamom, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black pepper, bay leaves, cloves, star anise and nutmeg. Homemade masala is simply all the ingredients listed above, toasted in a pan on your stove top and then finely blended to a powder. Many make their own garam masala because it is so easy to do at home. I, on the other time am not so gifted, so I buy mine instead. My absolute favorite, by far, is Jiva Organic Garam Masala. Before I tell you all about that, though, here are some health related facts about garam masala.
The healthy ingredients of Garam Masala:
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is an anti-microbial and is also an anti-inflammatory. It is high in calcium and fiber and helps control blood sugar by helping to increase insulin production while lowering blood sugar levels.
- Cumin: Cumin helps stimulate digestion, helps relieve nausea and indigestion, enriches with iron and can act as a property to fight against cancer.
- Coriander: Coriander is an ingredient used to control blood sugar levels and to lower cholesterol. It also helps stimulate digestion.
- Black Pepper: Black pepper increases the body’s ability to absorb vitamins, minerals and proteins. It’s high in fiber content, which reduces calorie intake, and it’s a natural metabolism booster. It helps break down fat cells, and is high in vitamin K and manganese, which also helps break down fats and carbs. Black pepper also fights against skin cancer and helps improve skin complexion.
- Cardamom: Cardamom is an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-carcinogenic. It helps to flush out toxins from the body, relieves heart burn, reduces the formation of blood clots, lowers blood pressure, increases blood circulation, relieves gas, and soothes upset stomachs.
- Cloves: Cloves contain a purifying property that helps support the immune system. It relieves tooth aches, boosts the metabolism, removes toxins from the blood stream, helps prevent the formation of blood clots and regulates blood sugar levels.You might not guess, but cloves are higher than any other food in antioxidant content. They provide an excellent source of calcium, omega 3, and vitamin K.
- Fennel: Fennel relieves indigestion, diarrhea, heartburn, intestinal gas, and bloating.
- Bay Leaves: Bay leaves are a powerful anti-oxidant that help prevent cancer, arthritis, and ulcers. It also helps in healing wounds and mosquito bites.
Garam masala is a multipurpose spice that helps promote health in almost all aspects of our body. So the next time you cook, add some extra kick to your recipes with this health promoting Indian spice. For some of my favorite recipes, check out 30 Delicious Ways to Enjoy Garam Masala found here: http://www.wisebread.com/30-delicious-ways-to-enjoy-garam-masala. (Check out number 19-the Chicken Tikka Masala is AMAZING! )
Jiva Organic Garam Masala is USDA certified Organic, made with only the best spices and herbs. It has absolutely no salt, MSG, GMO, ETO treatments, and comes in a resealable bag to preserve aroma and purity. I have used it in anything from Chicken Curry (my mom’s recipe) to gravy’s and on chicken as part of a rub. (can we say YUM??) It has been just what my dishes have needed! It is sweet and savory, but has the perfect amount of spice for any dish. Since using it, we have been eating healthier and I have noticed personally that I am eating less junky foods and have had much better digestion.
This is the perfect spice for Indian food newbies, ‘pros’, or those who are looking to add a new flavor to their diets. (along with all the other benefits! You can read more about this tasty spice and where to buy it below. It will be the spice you never want to go without.
- Certified USDA Organic Garam Masala
- Fully organic traditional blend of Garam Masala that is perfect with any Indian dish
- NO salt, NO MSG, NO GMO, NO Ethylene Oxide (ETO) treatment, NON-Irradiated
- Organic, better ingredients make happy chefs
- Packed in a resealable bag and then completely sealed to preserve aroma, purity and to avoid any contamination
Jiva Organics is a line of certified organic spices that offer a tremendous value over mainstream alternatives. This is a USDA certified organic Garam Masala that is of extremely high quality and perfect for your next Indian/Pakistani dish. Garam masala, popular in northern India, is a warm mixture of spices. Recipes for masalas vary according to regions, cuisine type, as well as the individual cooks, who often concoct a new masala for each dish as needed.
This rich, slightly sweet blend will save you that step and still deliver authentic Indian flavor because it incorporates a number of spices. From nutmeg to cardamom, to coriander and cumin, this Garam Masala is 100% pure, certified organic, and authentic. The word “Jiva” means life. At Jiva Organics, we are small family business driven by care and respect for life – be it people or the environment around us. As a result, we source products that are completely natural, certified organic and grown with the underlying philosophy that promotes sustainability of Mother Earth for the present and future generations. Organic farms we work with are untouched by modern toxic inputs to produce pure and natural spices and grains of the highest quality, that result in delicious, healthy meals for you and your family . It’s a simple choice that makes a big difference.
Where to Buy:
Jiva Organics USDA Organic Garam Masala, 7 Ounce
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.